It is widely recognised that food insecurity has detrimental effects on individuals, families, and the community as a whole. Significant evidence suggests that not everyone has regular access to food and that food insecurity is a growing issue across the wider Geelong region. More recently, the current COVID-19 crisis has had a significant impact on the emergency food relief sector, with an increase in people seeking food assistance, whilst also dealing with rapid changes in food availability, accessibility, and affordability resulting from the pandemic. The current crisis has also seen new people accessing food relief, with some community members having limited resources and support during this time.
Each year the Give Where You Live Foundation raises funds through the Feed Geelong appeal to provide Feed Geelong Grants to help organisations improve and increase access to nutritious and culturally appropriate food for those who are most vulnerable in our community. Specifically, grant funding can be used for:
- Kitchen and storage infrastructure (e.g. cupboards and storage containers, refrigerators, freezers, trolley, food processors, kitchen equipment)
- Minor capital works projects (e.g. building out a food pantry, installing shelving, building a cool room)
- Transportation of food (e.g. funding toward refrigerated vehicles or trailers, fuel)
- Service delivery (support for a program that prepares and delivers food and/or supports the development of nutrition knowledge and food preparation skills to those experiencing food insecurity
- Nutritious and culturally appropriate food (e.g. meat, dairy, fruit, and veg when it is unable to be sourced through donations)
- To address a key gap/challenge in providing food assistance during the Covid-19 pandemic.
The 2021 FEED Geelong Grant Round will open in August 2021.
- FEED Geelong Grant Guidelines here
- Feed Geelong Tips for Completing your Application here
- Feed Geelong Tips for using the Online Application form here
Grants Awarded in Previous Years
You can review our past Feed Geelong Grant Recipients here.
2021 Feed Geelong grants will be announced here in November 2020