Thousands of men, women and children in the Geelong community are struggling to put three healthy meals on the table each day.
In order to understand the state of emergency food assistance in the G21 Region, the Give Where You Live Foundation has released key research entitled Food For Thought: A Snapshot of Food Assistance in the Geelong/G21 Region, Victoria 2018.
The report is a key research project undertaken by the Give Where You Live Foundation and provides an understanding of:
- The organisations delivering food assistance
- The people who use the food assistance system
- Some of the challenges and gaps in the food assistance system
Key findings from this research include:
- A minimum of 63 organisations provide and distribute food assistance in the region
- An estimated 717,883 meals a year are provided by the food assistance system. This is the equivalent of 2,000 meals a day
- Volunteers provide $3.4 million labour support annually and 65% are over the age of 61
- Almost half of those receiving food assistance are families with children (including single parents and couples with children)
To view the Food For Thought Report in its entirety, please click here.